2013 Culinary Bucket List

My 2013 Culinary Bucket List - The Messy Baker

Last year, instead of posting resolutions, I created a Culinary Bucket List. This guilt-free, inspiration-filled list was meant to push my boundaries while putting a few delicious dishes on my table.

Then I got a book deal and swapped a deadline for the list.

Despite my egregious miscalculations in time management, I’m claiming a triumph on profiteroles (in the book), palmiers, clotted cream, and preserved lemons. The popovers? Well, they worked for me, but unless you own a popover pan, the so-called alternatives produce such a baked-on mess I can’t in good conscience pass them on. (If you really want a popover recipe, let me know and I’ll post a recipe and tips.)

With the manuscript filed and edits yet to arrive, I am tempting fate and posting this year’s Culinary Bucket List. Except for a couple of carry-over items, these dishes are uncharted territory for me and just begging to be explored. Can I get them done? With any luck, I’ll manage 12 items in as many months. If not? There’s always next year.

Charmian’s 2013 Culinary Bucket List

In no particular order:

1. Hazelnut gelato
  2. Ice cream cones
  3. Spinach ravioli
  4. Hot & Sour Soup (from 2012 list)
  5. Candied ginger
  6. Onion Bhaji (from 2012 list)
  7. Moussaka
  8. Fried calamari (and have it not be rubbery!)
  9. Ciabatta rolls
  10. Thai curry paste (red and green)
  11. Candied citrus peel
  12. Cream whisky

What must-try items are going on yours?

11 Responses to 2013 Culinary Bucket List

1. Monica Bhide January 2, 2013 at 4:54 pm #

Love your list! I should create one!! There is an easy recipe for onion bhaji (onion fritters in Modern Spice :-)

Happy New Year!!

Hope to catch up soon.

• Charmian Christie January 2, 2013 at 7:32 pm #

Rushing to my bookshelf! I’ll definitely be trying this out. If it’s half as good as your other recipes, I think you will be Andrew’s favourite person. He LOVES onion bhajis.

2. Judith Rutty Godfrey January 2, 2013 at 5:46 pm #

Well, my dear Charmian, if I just stick with you I’ll be making more recipes than I possibly could have thought of for my own ‘bucket list’! You’re waaaay ahead of me lady, except maybe on the Moussaka, for which I have a pretty darn good yummy recipe! Happy New Year backatcha!

Love,
    Jude

• Charmian Christie January 2, 2013 at 7:35 pm #

Oh, I’ll have to talk to you about your recipe! I know our palates are similar so I’m sure if you like it, the recipe will be great.

Stick with me at your peril. I am not to be trusted. Last year’s list wasn’t met adequately. Fingers crossed I deliver on this one!

Happy 2013 to you and the whole gang (chickens included!)

3. Herbivore Triathlete January 2, 2013 at 7:01 pm #

Looks like 2013 is going to be a delicious year!
    Herbivore Triathlete recently posted…Polar Bear Series 5KMy Profile

• Charmian Christie January 2, 2013 at 7:36 pm #

I hope so! Last year was carb-heavy (that’s my sweet tooth talking). This one? Slightly less so. :-)

4. Maggie January 2, 2013 at 7:22 pm #

Croissants from scratch.

• Charmian Christie January 2, 2013 at 7:37 pm #

Oh! I had croissants on the original list and decided to go with ciabatta instead to be healthier.

Maybe I can do 13 things? We’ll see. Thanks for sharing!

5. Robin Smart January 2, 2013 at 7:52 pm #

Please, oh please, let me be your taster for everything except 5 and 10 – after all I don’t want to appear greedy – but for your cooking I am.
    Love,

• Charmian Christie January 2, 2013 at 7:57 pm #

What’s wrong with 5 and 10 — oh wait. I get it now. You can’t do spicy hot.

Never fear. Andrew can have your share and you can have his ciabatta rolls. And croissants, if I get around to doing them.

Nothing on your bucket list except hanging around mine? That’s okay. You can do the dishes :-)

6. Lisa MacColl January 3, 2013 at 9:38 pm #

I’ve made moussaka a couple of times. I still have to try profiteroles from last year. My culinary bucket list was hijacked by my mother’s declining health last year. However, thanks to you, our family discovered they liked ginger and nutmeg more than they thought, and creme anglais saved a pumpkin pie that I forgot to put the honey in.
    This year, I will conquer profiteroles.
    All the best to you and Andrew for 2013.