Recipe: Butter Rum Pound Cake

I was going to post this on Monday, September 19th, official Talk Like a Pirate Day. But I used up all my lame pirate jokes back in 2006 when I needed a tie-in for my rumball recipe. Despite getting so tipsy spliced t’mainbrace sampling the rum-laced glaze that I came this close to bellowing out a sea shanty, this will be a straight up, pirate-free pound cake post — which is only fitting since Camilla V. Saulsbury shouldn’t share the lime light with anyone, let alone a scurvy, one-eyed bilge rat.

What makes Camilla so special? Not only did she create 750 muffin recipes a while back, her new book, Piece of Cakehas 176 tasty and easy-to-make variations. Carrying the one, that’s 926 recipes she’s come up with in one year. I’m chuffed when I come up with three variations on galette.

How’s she do it? Spin a flavour wheel? Pull herbs out of a hat? No, According to Camilla, it’s a “savant thing” she’s done all her life. In college, her classmates thought she was a meticulous notetaker, but in reality she was scribbling down flavour ideas during lectures. Higher education has never been put to such good use.

Camilla’s cakes are as delicious as they are innovative. These are not the rubbery, church bake sale offerings you might have choked down in the name of charity. You don’t need a stand mixer or specialty flours. You don’t need to alternate wet and dry ingredients or worry about over or under mixing. You just need a bowl and the desire to bake a homemade cake. And a good recipe — or 176. Trust me. Follow the instructions and you, too, can make cakes that have people asking for seconds.

Butter Rum Pound Cake - The Messy Baker

Don’t let looks deceive you, this pound cake might look plain but it puts the classic Bacardi Rum cake –with its golden cake mix and added instant pudding — to shame. But don’t take my word for it. Take the word of the eight guests who hiccuped their way through dessert.

Review in Brief

This book will appeal to: People who like to eat cake, compulsive bakers, those who want to kick the cake mix habit but don’t have time, birthday party hosts, birthday party attendees… Oh heck. Let’s make it easy and say the only people this won’t appeal to are Bohemian backpackers (only due to lack of facilities) and people who hate golden retriever puppies. Everyone else? You will love this book.

Must-try recipes:

• Sunny lemon cake:  Camilla’s favourite recipe in the entire book.
  • Lavender Lemon Pound cake: It’s simple, elegant and has an old-fashioned appeal — like you should eat it sipping Darjeeling from chin teacups while children play croquet in the background.
  • Salted Caramel, Peanut and Chocolate Upside-Down Cake: Like you need a reason beyond, “It’s fun to say”?!

Biggest surprise: I knew the cakes would be relatively easy, but I didn’t expect them to be so light and moist. I’ve made several from this book (some twice) and finally understand why people bother to make pound cakes.

, , , , ,

16 Responses to Recipe: Butter Rum Pound Cake

1. Robin Smart September 16, 2011 at 6:01 pm #

Yum Yum. Maybe this should be my birthday cake next year.
    Love,

• Charmian Christie September 19, 2011 at 9:16 am #

Maybe. I’d have to check your ID first. Must be of legal drinking age to consume…

2. Sally - My Custard Pie September 18, 2011 at 1:23 am #

Rum in cakes works especially well (especially banana bread) – will try this recipe.
    PS. Why are pirates called pirates?
    Because they AAAARRRRR

• Charmian Christie September 19, 2011 at 9:10 am #

Oooh, bad pirate joke, but I had it coming.

Oddly, I don’t sure a lot of rum except in rumballs and rumcake. Clearly there are rum opportunities I’m missing!

3. Maggie September 18, 2011 at 7:00 pm #

This will appeal to my mother but will it work in a bundt cake pan?

• Charmian Christie September 19, 2011 at 9:09 am #

I used a bundt pan. Any form of 10-inch tube pan should work well with this recipe.

Enjoy the cake!

4. Maggie September 21, 2011 at 2:10 pm #

I made this cake today and it is sooooo good. I used a bundt cake and followed the recipe as you gave it. My Mom loved it too. The book is going on my wish list.

• Charmian Christie September 22, 2011 at 8:46 am #

Thanks for letting me know how your cake turned out. I’m so glad your mom liked her cake. All of Camilla’s recipes are delicious and amazingly easy to make.

5. Nikki April 18, 2012 at 10:59 pm #

I baked this tonight. It came out great! But I did make some modifications. I try to restrict my sodium as much as I can because I have hypertension, so I used sodium free baking soda and sodium free baking powder. Almost all of my ingredients were organic. The recipe calls for a total of 2 1/2 cups of granulated sugar, but I just used 1 1/2 cup, 1 cup in the batter and the other 1/2 cup in the glaze, plus I did not use any powdered sugar. It still came out sweet though so I’m glad that I did not use the whole 2 1/2 cups. I also mixed by hand but I won’t torture myself like that again, I’ll just use my KitchenAid mixer for easier mixing. This recipe is for keeps!

• Charmian Christie April 30, 2012 at 12:14 am #

So glad you liked the recipe. I use my stand mixer now for almost all my mixing since my wrists complain.

Interesting how you could reduce the sugar in the batter without affecting the results. Sugar does more than sweeten. It helps retain moisture. Good to know since it gives me an excuse to try this recipe again!

Thanks for taking the time to let me know your results.

6. Sara February 10, 2013 at 4:50 pm #

Is there any way I can make this as a layer cake? I need a butter rum cake for a friend’s wedding cake I am making.

• Charmian Christie February 10, 2013 at 9:01 pm #

You could certainly make it as a layer cake but you would have to reduce the heat and adjust the timing. It might take a try or two to find out how it works with your new pan size and particular oven. I would probably put a buttercream between the layers (don’t skip the rum drizzle!) just to lighten it a bit. It might be too heavy otherwise.

Your friend is very lucky! All the best with making their wedding cake.

• Sara February 10, 2013 at 9:05 pm #

Thanks for the quick reply. She wants it to have a maple cream filling, so I must oblige, but will follow your direction to not skip the rum drizzle. :)

• Charmian Christie February 10, 2013 at 9:08 pm #

The bride gets what the bride wants. I think the maple will be nice, but it could be too sweet. You might want to do a test run with a less sweet drizzle since the maple cream will be quite sweet. I’d be tempted to try a portion drizzled with pure rum. But that’s just me. I like rum! Of course, you may not have time for all this boozy experimentation. Good luck with the cake! I’m sure your friend will be thrilled.

7. Ashley B. October 20, 2014 at 2:26 pm #

Could I use a brown sugar/granulated sugar combo? I am actually looking for a bourbon pound cake recipe. I have tried two different ones but haven’t been able to find ‘THE ONE’ yet. Anything I would need to change to do this?
    Ashley B. recently posted…Monica Bhide and The Devil in Us My Profile

• Charmian Christie October 22, 2014 at 9:41 pm #

You could certainly use a combination of brown sugar and granulated sugar in this recipe. Just add the brown sugar along with the white and follow the recipe as it is. The timing might change slightly with the baking, taking a bit longer, but if you use a cake tester, you should be just fine.

This should work nicely with bourbon. Hmmmm. You’ve got me thinking.

If you do try this with brown sugar and bourbon, I’d love to know the results.