Recipe: Rhubarb and Raspberry Galette

Technically this is an original recipe. But like all dishes, its initial creative spark came from a patchwork of ideas. The pivotal concept, pairing rhubarb with raspberry, came via David Lebovitz, who posted a link to Lottie and Doof, who got it from Bon Appetit. With rhubarb on hand and some of last year’s raspberries hogging precious freezer space, I took a peek at the recipe. The ingredients were simple enough, but the instructions called for cooking and cooling the filling before baking. I’m lazy. This was not about to happen on a Sunday afternoon.

So, I turned to a simple Raspberry Pie recipe, thinking I’d just substitute minced rhubarb for a good portion of the berries. Meanwhile, a bottle of Mexican vanilla called from the cupboard and an orange on the counter begged for attention. I’m not sure how the almonds nosed their way into the dish, but they did. And I’m glad.

Before adding three new ingredients to the dish, I double checked my instincts with the Flavour Bible. The two main fruits go well together, so we were off to a good start. Delving further, I reaffirmed both rhubarb and raspberries pair with vanilla, as well as orange. Orange, in turn, pairs with vanilla. Vanilla conveniently pairs with almost everything, including the three fruits in question. And almond? This nut goes with all items on the list. Phew! It’s like a game of Rock Paper Scissors, only nothing beats anything and everybody at the table wins not matter what’s thrown down.

Confused? Don’t be. Just one bite and you’ll get it.

Putting the theoretical combination to the test, I gave a slice to my  lemon-pie-loving father. Not having much of a sweet tooth, he’ll tell you straight up whether or not he likes the dessert. I have yet to sway him with a chocolate dish, but won him over on this one. Two bites in Dad suggested we forego the customary Father’s Day lemon meringue pie and have this instead. With an endorsement like that I think it’s safe to say this creation could well nab me first place at the upcoming Christie’s Corner bake off.

“Bake off?” you ask, bouncing with anticipation. “What bake off?” Ah, that’s another story for another day. For now, grab a slice of rhubarb and raspberry galette  – before it’s all gone.

, , ,

20 Responses to Recipe: Rhubarb and Raspberry Galette

1. debbie koenig June 6, 2011 at 12:46 pm #

Oooo, pretty! I like.

• Charmian Christie June 7, 2011 at 9:06 am #

Thanks. I was surprised how red the filling was — and without a drop of food colouring.

2. Robin Smart June 6, 2011 at 6:38 pm #

Hi Charmian,
    I say bring both this wonderful creation and some lemon pie to Father’s Day.
    You are right, Dad loved it and raved about it while at our place for supper last night. You have a real winner here!!
    Love,

• Charmian Christie June 7, 2011 at 9:06 am #

I’ll bring both but it was pretty gratifying to get the thumbs up from Dad on something that isn’t lemon pie.

3. Ari's simple cake recipes June 7, 2011 at 4:39 pm #

I just love your pies :X .. wish I could find rhubarb
    Ari’s simple cake recipes recently posted…Cinnamon cookies recipe for childrenMy Profile

• Charmian Christie June 7, 2011 at 10:07 pm #

Oh, no! You can’t find rhubarb? Tragic. I hope to freeze some for the winter — that is, if I don’t use up all the fresh stalks first. Hope you can locate some soon.

4. Sarah June 7, 2011 at 10:52 pm #

I love how one little switch can change the world! Or at least the pie!

• Charmian Christie June 8, 2011 at 8:54 am #

So true. I was really surprised at how much I liked this combination. And the orange and almond really added to the mix.

Pie just might be the culinary contribution to world peace. Happy people don’t fight and you can’t be unhappy with a good piece of pie.

5. Cheryl Arkison June 12, 2011 at 11:42 am #

Yum. I might venture back into the kitchen today and pastry was on my mind.
    Cheryl Arkison recently posted…EnforcementMy Profile

• Charmian Christie June 15, 2011 at 8:26 am #

Nice to see you back. This is an easy recipe, even with the added step of the frangipane. One of those recipes that is worth making from scratch.

6. Jacqui June 19, 2011 at 4:34 pm #

Wow! I can now also see the mothers day- fathers day parallel in these desserts (and us!)
    Now tell me, do you think any of the components can be made in advance?

• Charmian Christie June 28, 2011 at 10:01 am #

Great question, Jacqui. The individual steps can be done ahead of time. You can make the dough and store it in the fridge for up to two days, or freeze it if you need to store it longer. You can make the frangipane the day before and refrigerate it, but it only takes a minute to make so I would do that while the oven preheats. You can also prep the fruit ahead of time and pre-mix the dry ingredients. If you have all that done ahead of time, it takes about 10 minutes to assemble.

Great idea for a quick homebaked treat for Father’s Day, Fourth of July (or Canada Day up here) or any occasion where you’re strapped for time.

7. coco September 5, 2011 at 6:23 pm #

dear Christie, your blog is full of wonderful food and lovely photos.
    I am really enjoying it.

• Charmian Christie September 6, 2011 at 5:42 pm #

Thanks so much! I appreciate your kind words and that you’ve taken the time to write a comment. It means a lot!

8. Jack M. June 7, 2012 at 11:36 am #

Ohio and Ontario aren’t too far from each other–just the same, produce seems to be in season at different times. When this recipe was posted last year, raspberries and rhubarb weren’t ripe yet, but strawberries were at their peak (the ones that you see growing in the ground that have flavor–not the ones you can buy at the supermarket 6 months out of the year). Now that this time of year is back again, everyone has been asking about this dessert again so I had to come back and find the recipe. It is a wonderful one!

• Charmian Christie June 8, 2012 at 6:28 am #

Thanks so much for taking the time to post some feedback. I’m so glad you like the dessert. It’s one of my favourites!

I hear you on the strawberries! I’m thrilled Ontario now has ever-bearing strawberries so I can enjoy locally grown, flavourful berries from June to September. After that? It’s what I froze or preserved.

Enjoy your galettes!!

9. Judith Rutty Godfrey August 15, 2012 at 6:43 pm #

Super, super easy and delicious! Made this with peaches last week with almond paste, which I had in my frig, and it was fantastic! Thanks so much Charmian for yet another, wonderful recipe that WORKS!

• Charmian Christie August 16, 2012 at 10:45 am #

Thanks. I’m so pleased you riffed on the theme. I find galettes are waaaaay to flexible. I could make them constantly and never get bored. My waistline would complain, but my mouth would be thrilled.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks