Recipe: Fried Avocado with Lime-Cilantro Dipping Sauce

Avocados, just itching to be used - The Messy Baker

Wanting to redeem myself from the monumental failure of my salted caramel candy apples — which devolved into sliced apples and a dip — I accepted the task of creating an avocado recipe for MissAvaCado‘s Cinco de Mayo Blogger Challenge. The results have me wondering if I’m cut out for challenges.

While the goal was to create an amazing guacamole recipe, as an easily distracted Gemini, I got sidetracked by the idea of avocado ice cream. As you can tell from the post title, that didn’t happen. First of all, I hadn’t frozen the ice cream maker’s drum, which requires a good 24 hours’ notice. Then, while I debated holding off for another day while the drum chilled, the avocados got impatient. And once you tick off an avocado, you get more than just a big pit with attitude.

So, with four clock-watching avocados staring me down, I panicked. The only Mexican dish I could think of was deep fried ice cream which meant I needed ice cream (obviously), batter and a deep frier. Not only did this take me further from the original challenge, I lacked the deep frier. And ice cream. So I streamlined my brilliant but off-base Deep-Fried Avocado Ice Cream concept  and ended up with simple Fried Avocado Slices With Dip. Which is kind of like guacamole, only in reverse since you dip with avocado slices, not into mashed avocados.

Again with the slices and dip? Clearly I’m in a rut.

To make my topsy-turvy, not-quite-guacamole, I started with a classic tempura batter, but the avocado’s natural oils made the coating doughy. Sticking to the Japanese theme, I turned to panko crumbs. They worked beautifully and required only a half inch of oil.

The results are crunchy on the outside and creamy on the inside —  the sort of thing you really shouldn’t eat too often but will find yourself craving out of the blue despite knowing better. I think it’s the lime-cilantro dipping sauce. Or the avocado. Or the panko crumbs. Or the combination. Or maybe I’m just destined to make sliced food with a dip and leave it at that.

While I can’t vouch for the health benefits of this dish, I can say with confidence fried avocado slices are better for you than deep-fried ice cream. By how much? Don’t ask. Some things are best left unasked.

Besides, “Can I have some?” put all other questions aside and enjoy a little indulgence.

Fried Avocado Slices - The Messy Baker

, , ,

11 Responses to Recipe: Fried Avocado with Lime-Cilantro Dipping Sauce

1. Dana McCauley May 2, 2011 at 9:36 am #

Charmian, I think I’m gaining weight just thinking about this recipe — it looks so moreish!

• Charmian Christie May 3, 2011 at 8:54 pm #

It’s moreish, all right. But it’s a healthy fat, so you can indulge (on occasion).

2. Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite May 2, 2011 at 11:15 am #

I love your twist – I kept on seeing other entries that were more classic guac and wondered if my idea (guacamuffins and guacpops) were too off base but I am glad that great minds think differently :) YUM.
    Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite recently posted…Guacamuffins and Guacpops for Cinco de MayoMy Profile

• Charmian Christie May 3, 2011 at 8:58 pm #

I dropped by your blog and just love your original twist on guacamole! Love the name guacamuffins. That alone wins you a prize in my books.

3. Sasa May 3, 2011 at 4:54 pm #

These look amazing, what a smart idea – crunch (I love panko, I grew up in Japan), creaminess and a sour bite…I see these in my near future.
    Sasa recently posted…What I Want to Do When I Grow Up and That Pear and Toffee Cake I DroppedMy Profile

4. Charmian Christie May 3, 2011 at 9:04 pm #

Thanks. The panko worked nicely as a contrast in texture. But I don’t want to over-think things too much, especially since it’s really just a failed ice cream idea.

I’m guessing from the title of your latest blog post, you’d understand this logic. (And I’m a scanner who’s learning to focus.)

5. Richelle May 11, 2011 at 3:55 pm #

Im visiting my mother this weekend so I was searching something new to make her try. This is perfect, especially because she lives in such a small town they can’t find avocados there. Could you imagine?

• Charmian Christie May 16, 2011 at 9:09 am #

Actually, I can imagine — and it’s scary! I hope your mom enjoyed this treat. You’re a great daughter for making her something she can’t have otherwise. I’m sure she’ll appreciate the effort.