Recipe: Plum, Chocolate & Frangipane Pie

Had the pears held up I would likely be writing about broccoli or Swiss chard. Health food fans lament; pie lovers rejoice.

On Saturday, with guests arriving and the clock ticking loudly in my ears, I tossed my dessert plans into the garbage along with the perfect-on-the-outside, punky-on-the-inside pears. Unable to rest upon the laurels of a well-tested dessert, the pressure was on. With little on hand but plums and leftover ingredients from my recent stone-fruit baking exploits, I tossed components together like Dr. Frankenstein creating a new life from. All that was missing were lightning flashes and ominous organ chords.

The crust was the leftover pate sucree dough (which froze beautifully). I sprinkled in a layer of chocolate borrowed from the Pear Chocolate Tart,  slathered on butterless frangipane lifted from the recent Peach, Apricot & Plum Galette and topped it all with a generous coating of sliced plums. Using the only egg left in the fridge I whisked in some cream for a custard to hold it all together.

Like the pears that started the culinary panic, the outside belies the interior. Sure this looks like last week’s Plum Frangipane Tart, but one bite in and you’ll know this isn’t the subtle version. Just as your fork is half way back to the plate, the dark chocolate hits you.

Despite my makeshift approach, this just might be my best plum pie ever. Granted, it’s only the second plum pie I’ve ever made, but was really, really good.  I topped it off with some vanilla creme fraiche, but it really doesn’t need much help.

Got any makeshift successes you care to share? How do you cope with culinary disaster when you’re under the gun?

, , ,

0 Responses to Recipe: Plum, Chocolate & Frangipane Pie

1. Sally October 20, 2010 at 5:36 am #

This looks luscious. Chocolate with fruit in a tart is a fab combination. My favourite is chocolate with apricot but I’ll be trying this one very soon.
    Sally recently posted…Jack Daniels with everything – an evening at SeafireMy Profile

• Charmian Christie October 20, 2010 at 8:49 am #

@Sally, oooh, chocolate and apricot? That sounds amazing. No reason you can’t swap stone fruits in this tart. I’d love to know how your apricot version turns out.

2. Sophie October 21, 2010 at 3:44 am #

MMMMMMM,..Your plum frangipane & chocolate pie looks just amazing, Charmian!!

• Charmian Christie October 27, 2010 at 3:56 pm #

@Sophie, thanks! Your constant support is much appreciated.

3. Sophia October 25, 2010 at 12:57 pm #

Oh, this dish looks fabulous! I love the picture too! If you’re interested, you should submit it to Recipe4Living’s Tasty Thanksgiving Recipe Contest :)

4. Joanna April 15, 2011 at 12:25 am #

Hi there! This recipe sounds delish and I was hoping that you might add it to my Easter and Spring Linking Party to share with my readers. If you are interested, you can go here http://bakedbyjoanna.blogspot.com/2011/04/easter-linking-party.html to enter. Thanks!

5. Brenna October 31, 2011 at 5:53 pm #

I see you posted this a year ago, but I had to share. I used this recipe as a guide but used pears and a different crust. So amazing!! Thanks for the inspiration!

• Charmian Christie November 3, 2011 at 8:51 am #

Wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing your variation. I bet it was great with pears.

Good thing recipes don’t have an expiry date!

6. Mary Beth August 12, 2012 at 1:49 am #

Trying right now with our spring crop of Pluots we froze. I am so excited for this pie! Thank you!!!

7. Mary Beth August 12, 2012 at 2:57 am #

Pluot version was a success! Yum husband and I both had 1/4 a pie.

• Charmian Christie August 12, 2012 at 9:24 am #

Outstanding! I love that you used your frozen Pluot plums. Brilliant way to use fruit out of season.

Thanks so much for taking the time to let me know how it turned out. I am always buoyed by the success of others!