Recipe: Roasted Squash and Pear Soup

I missed the last of the season’s peaches on Saturday by THIS much. You can’t see it but I’m holding my thumb and index finger about 4 inches apart. The universal translation for this gesture is one hour of time for each inch of empty air. I got to the Farmers’ Market just after 10:00 AM and the grower told me the last few baskets of peaches went “first thing.” Since the only 6 o’clock I’m acquainted with arrives at supper hour, I decided my plans for the peaches were just not meant to be.

So I grabbed some pears and plums and shuffled home to fill the peach void with something equally luscious but so different I wouldn’t feel cheated. As I walked in the kitchen and slammed the door, the large butternut squash on the counter rolled over like a surrendering puppy. The answer was  soup.

On with the oven, in with the squash and pears, and later that afternoon, I had a velvety, sweet soup that made me forget about my lost peaches. At least while I was eating.

Now, what will I do with those plums?

, , , , ,

0 Responses to Recipe: Roasted Squash and Pear Soup

1. Valerie October 9, 2010 at 11:30 am #

I’m always on the lookout for an amazing butternut squash soup! I love the addition of pears and cider, what an amazing combination of flavours.
    I can’t wait to try this! Thanks for sharing. :~)
    Valerie recently posted…Salted Bittersweet Chocolate Chunk CookiesMy Profile

• Charmian Christie October 12, 2010 at 2:23 pm #

@Valerie, hope you like the results. I really enjoyed it and am going to play more with the stock/cider ratio. Love recipes you can bend according to mood.

2. Miranda Merten October 10, 2010 at 12:32 am #

I’ll bet the pears and squash go great together, I love creamy, smooth soups like that.

As for the recipe format, I actually thought the “new” weaving way was very interesting and it made it easy to do a first read through of the recipe. But, doing it the “old” way is probably easier for anyone that is going to set up a mise en place. That way all ingredients are listed together and in order.
    Miranda Merten recently posted…Whats Your Surprise SpiceMy Profile

• Charmian Christie October 12, 2010 at 2:25 pm #

@Miranda Merten, thanks for the feedback. You make a great point.

Based you feedback like yours, I’m trying a new list + woven instructions format. In case you’re interested, the first attempt is here”

Thanks again for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it.

• Miranda Merten October 12, 2010 at 2:30 pm #

@Charmian Christie, I just checked it out and I think that is perfect! I love the way you did that and it brought together the best of both worlds.

btw- the first picture of the plum tart did not show up for me, not sure if it is something on my end though.
        Miranda Merten recently posted…Pumpkin Spiced CoffeeMy Profile

• Charmian Christie October 12, 2010 at 3:06 pm #

@Miranda Merten, glad the new format works. Thanks for getting back to me about it. I really appreciate the feedback.

As for the plum photo, I reloaded it. It should be working now. I tested on two different browsers (Firefox / Safari) but some days the Internet is persnickety. Hope you can see it.

3. Rebeka Russell October 12, 2010 at 9:34 am #

I LOVE this recipe and am going to make it tonight: for once I have all the ingredients to hand and can’t wait to taste the end result. Thanks for such fantastic pear inspiration! x
    Rebeka Russell recently posted…Owl apron and oven mittMy Profile

• Charmian Christie October 12, 2010 at 2:27 pm #

@Rebeka Russell, you’re most welcome. Pears are so versatile I wish the season lasted longer (but I say that about almost any fruit.)

Good luck with your pear adventures.

4. Sophie October 13, 2010 at 1:33 pm #

Hey Charmian!!

What a festive & apart flavoured soup!! MMMMM,..That’s a cool idea to add pears in this soup!! Must be very flavourfull!!
    Sophie recently posted…Sophies gingered braised red cabbage with apples &amp cinnamonMy Profile