Honey Roasted Pears Recipe

I’m telling you up front, this cookbook scared me when it arrived. I haven’t the patience to make confit, wouldn’t touch foie gras if you paid me and can’t even begin to tell you where to get quail eggs. Venison, bison and Cornish hens have never been, and likely will never be, on my grocery list. And quite frankly, I’m a bit afraid of pickled eggplant.

But despite all this, Simply In Season: 12 Months of Wine Country Cooking by Tony de Luca is just the kind of cookbook I need. Yesterday, while Stick Figure Charmian was falling off a treadmill, Real Life Charmian was looking for ways to break out of her comfort zone. And the path to culinary inspiration was sitting right on my shelf.

While I won’t make many of the entrees in their entirety, I’m intrigued by the sauces, flavour combinations  and stunning photographs. Ginger Beurre Blanc? This could become my next favourite thing. I might not use it with Sesame and Polenta Crusted Scallops with Chardonnay-Braised Red Cabbage as de Luca intended (okay, make that definitely won’t) but I sure can see it livening up chicken breasts or a pan-seared whitefish. And you can bet I’ll  be finding an excuse to use Hazelnut-Caramel Sauce, even if no one in my family will eat the sticky toffee pudding that’s meant to support it.

All this culinary riffing is possible because of de Luca’s well-written instructions. He gives enough detail to guide you and not so much to bog you down. Today’s dish? I hijacked the roasted pears headed for a bed of greens with spicy candied walnuts and a poppyseed dressing, and forcibly rerouted them towards dessert. Topped with the vanilla creme fraiche from the Peach, Apricot and Plum Galette, the results are worth sharing. Grab a fork.

Tony de Luca might well be able to cook me under the table, but on my way down I’m learning as much as I can from this master.

Do you own any intimidating cookbooks you turn to for inspiration? If so, what dishes did they inspire? Go on. Share a link. I’ll tell my spam filter it’s okay.

, , , , ,

0 Responses to Honey Roasted Pears Recipe

1. Terry September 1, 2010 at 8:58 am #

Mmmm,…I will definitely be trying this as the pears all ripen (I guess that was the point, wasn’t it, lol). And may I also add, you’ve compensated for your lost platters with gorgeous substitutes. Your presentation is as beautiful as it always has been. ;)

• Charmian Christie September 1, 2010 at 6:25 pm #

@Terry, thanks! I still miss that leaf platter, but this little gem showed up and eased my pain. Expect to see more of it in the future — providing I break the breakage cycle.

2. Alison September 1, 2010 at 10:34 am #

I love this combination, and this is very pretty!
    Alison recently posted…Game Day and Labor Day Appetizer- Grilled Blue Corn NachosMy Profile

• Charmian Christie September 1, 2010 at 6:25 pm #

@Alison, thanks. The combination surprised me, but works nicely.

3. Michelle September 1, 2010 at 1:56 pm #

So pretty!
    Michelle recently posted…Blueberry cookie barsMy Profile

• Charmian Christie September 1, 2010 at 6:26 pm #

@Michelle, thanks. I am beginning to realize a pretty plate can hide a whole lot of ugly. Pear wedges aren’t all that attractive on their own.

4. Michelle September 1, 2010 at 5:31 pm #

This hijacking/riffing approach has never occurred to me! Brilliant! And the pears look yummy! Thanks Charmian!

• Charmian Christie September 1, 2010 at 6:27 pm #

@Michelle, glad you like the hijack idea. I was going to make the salad, but when I tasted the pears? I just had to do dessert. I’ll get my greens another way, I guess.

5. Pam @ Cookingworld September 2, 2010 at 1:44 am #

Wow, Looks so great! I would not have thought of this recipe unless I saw it here! I think it will be great party dessert that will “wow” the crowd. Thanks for sharing.
    Pam @ Cookingworld recently posted…Healthy Eating GuidelinesMy Profile

• Charmian Christie September 3, 2010 at 10:08 am #

@Pam @ Cookingworld, isn’t the web great for inspiration? I love that it’s simple but very tasty. Good fruit doesn’t need all the much help. Sometimes the hardest part is just stepping out of its way.

6. Sophie September 2, 2010 at 1:47 pm #

A lovely, easy yet stylish pear desert!

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM,…!!
    Sophie recently posted…A few of my most lovely shops- places &amp streets in Brussels &amp beyond- part 3My Profile

• Charmian Christie September 3, 2010 at 10:09 am #

@Sophie, thanks. Pears are one of the few fruits I like cooked better than raw.

7. Chocolate Shavings September 3, 2010 at 5:29 pm #

Roasted pears are always a lovely dessert treat – love the look of that dish!

• Charmian Christie September 5, 2010 at 2:14 pm #

@Chocolate Shavings, I’m now hooked on roasted pears. And that dish is my new fave. Thanks for noticing.

8. kevmalone December 12, 2010 at 12:20 pm #

Thanks for this. We tried these last night and will be serving them on New Year’s Eve.
    We tried three different types of pear – Bosc turned out the best.
    Because we’re planning for a big dinner we cooked these well ahead of time and warmed them in a 200F oven for 30 mins prior to serving, so no last minute mad dashes!

• Charmian Christie December 21, 2010 at 6:02 pm #

@kevmalone, thanks so much for taking the time to let me know your results. Bosc is best? Good to know.

I hope you have a wonderful, unrushed New Years. I’m honoured you’ll be serving one of my recipes. Hope you have a wonderful holiday season.