Watermelon Agua Fresca

Those who know me will be shocked to learn I have joined a gym. Yup. Me. In a gym. I have yet to receive confirmation, but somewhere out there a fat pink pig is soaring high above a frozen section of Hades and giggling.

Thanks to my older sister’s encouragement, I now have a bright red gym bag, a stainless steel water bottle and some very unsettling knowledge about my body composition. No surprise on the weight and body fat percentages, but I was flabbergasted to learn my body doesn’t have enough water. And drinking large quantities of H20 throughout the day is not something I do. Tried it. Failed. Many times over.

So, I figured there had to be a better way to hydrate, and it turns out watermelon just might be the answer. According to the National Watermelon Promotion Board their raison d’etre  is an excellent way to get water back in your system. It’s also high in potassium, so the smug banana eaters can just hold their tongues. I can replace my potassium without looking like a monkey, thank you very much.  Sure, watermelon has Vitamin C, some  antioxidants and a couple of  B vitamins, but that’s not why I love it. Let’s face it, watermelon is pink, makes a cool sound when you knock on it and has seeds you can spit. What’s not to love?

While I promise to drink plain old water as I trudge on the treadmill, I will reward myself (and keep my trainer happy) when I get home with a really refreshing glass of Watermelon Agua Fresca. A pitcher is cooling in the fridge as I type.  Almost makes me want to work out.

This recipe is courtesy the National Watermelon Promotion Board, but I made mine with orange juice instead of water and omitted the honey. I’m thinking of adding a bit of fresh mint from the garden, just to shake things up a bit. How do you stay hydrated?

Watermelon Agua Fresca

Makes 4 servings

Agua Fresca, Spanish for fresh, cold waters, is a combination of watermelon, water, fruit and honey blended together and served ice cold.  This is the perfect beverage to enjoy on a backyard patio.

• 4 cups seedless watermelon, cut into chunks, divided
  • 1 cup cold water, divided (I used orange juice)
  • 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice (or to taste)
  • 1 tbsp honey (or to taste)
  • ice cubes

Garnish:

• watermelon triangles
  • lime wedges
  1. Blend half the watermelon pieces with 1/2 cup (125 mL) of water until smooth. Strain into serving pitcher. Repeat the process with the remaining watermelon and water.
  2. Add lime juice and honey to taste.  Stir until blended.
  3. Pour into ice-filled glasses and garnish with watermelon triangles skewered with lime wedges.

, ,

0 Responses to Watermelon Agua Fresca

1. Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite July 5, 2010 at 10:37 am #

Isn’t this a great drink? I made mine with fizzy water and it was amazing – it’s my new favourite drink for the summer!

• Charmian Christie July 6, 2010 at 10:16 am #

@Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite, Oh, fizzy water? My husband would love that addition. Great idea. Thanks!

2. Aimee @ Simple Bites July 5, 2010 at 10:59 am #

Love this! It would probably be popular with the kiddos, too. Thanks!

PS> kudos on joining the gym!

• Charmian Christie July 6, 2010 at 10:17 am #

@Aimee @ Simple Bites, Great point about it being kid-friendly.

And thanks for the support on joining a gym. Not loving it, but I know it’s good for me. And the agua fresca tasted even better after a workout, so I guess there are benefits beyond increased cardio capacity.

3. Cool July 5, 2010 at 5:05 pm #

Bet it’ll taste even better with some RUM!

• Charmian Christie July 6, 2010 at 10:18 am #

@Cool, I like the way you think!

• Cool July 7, 2010 at 1:43 pm #

@Charmian Christie, just watch the amount of rum, calories are pretty high on alcohol.

4. Robin Smart July 5, 2010 at 9:21 pm #

Hey this is a great idea, as I am the only water melon eater in my house and I usually just can’t eat a whole one by myself.
    Cheers!

• Charmian Christie July 6, 2010 at 10:19 am #

@Robin Smart, I bet this would freeze well, too. You could freeze single servings and take the frozen version to the gym and sip away as it melts. Must give this a try myself. So much more refreshing than water and I’m sure a heck of a lot better for you than Gatorade!

PS: Thanks for encouraging me to join the gym and coming with me. I hate exercising alone.

5. Cheryl July 5, 2010 at 9:33 pm #

Deleeeecious! My husband was off work today in honor of the long July 4th weekend down here, but my kids didn’t know — they were in camp all day. So hubs and I went to a matinee and followed the film with lunch at a great local mexican restaurant. He chased his guacamole with an agua fresca! I didn’t partake, because it was guava flavored, and I don’t really do guava.

But tomorrow, I shall buy a watermelon, and make your lovely recipe. You know, for hydration purposes only.
    .-= Cheryl´s last blog ..Summer =-.

• Charmian Christie July 6, 2010 at 12:13 pm #

@Cheryl, what a nice day you had. I love Mexican food. Now that I know you can do variations on agua fresca, I’ll be experimenting with the seasonal fruit.

Hope you like the watermelon version!

6. Cheryl Arkison July 12, 2010 at 12:37 pm #

Oh, it’s been years since I had this. My mom used to live in South Texas, so we got very used to this. Guess what is going on the grocery list? My kids will love this.
    .-= Cheryl Arkison´s last blog ..Aside =-.

• Charmian Christie July 13, 2010 at 9:12 pm #

I love that this is kid-friendly but tastes like a grown-up drink. It’s been a lovely treat during this unbearably hot and humid spell.