Wordle

Wordle.jpg

On the weekend Andrew and I disposed of 18 boxes of books. Some went to charity, some to the used book store, some (moldy ones) to landfill. No matter where they ended up, that’s a lot of words leaving my home.

I felt a void and decided to fill the literary gap with Wordle, an online tool for generating “word clouds”. What’s a word cloud? See the picture above.

Wordle automatically generated the word cloud above based on text pulled from my most recent posts. But I don’t feel it fully reflects me. Cinnamon’s nice, but I don’t like it THAT much. And really, if you were describing my blog to someone (in a positive way) would “toxic”, “bung” and “aging” spring to mind?

So, I Wordled again, this time with a list of my favourite foodie terms. It generated this work of word art.

Wordle2.jpg

That it starts with soup and ends with dessert is completely accidental but fitting.

Got five minutes? Make a Wordle, post it to their gallery and send me the link. Sometimes, a picture paints a thousand words, even if it only uses a few dozen.

0 Responses to Wordle

1. Cheryl August 20, 2008 at 12:52 pm #

Gosh, this is brilliant, and strangely beautiful, too. Can you print it out like a poster? I’d love to hang something like that in my office — I think it would be a great inspirational tool. I’m very excited to check out the link!

2. Christie's Corner August 20, 2008 at 1:01 pm #

Cheryl, you can do anything you like with it as long as you give Wordle a link. Coffee mugs, t-shirts, notecards…

It’s a time suck, but very inspirational. Glad you liked it. Notice the word “mayonnaise” doesn’t come up once :-)

3. Roxanne August 20, 2008 at 2:07 pm #

I’ll have to check that out. I’ve wanted to add a cloud to my blog for a while. I wonder if it will work with my blog software.

4. Christie's Corner August 20, 2008 at 2:19 pm #

Roxanne, Wordle only creates static pictures, not clickable tags. If you want a label cloud for your blog, you’ll have to look elsewhere. I believe Wowzio Widgets has what you’re looking for.

5. C. Erickson August 20, 2008 at 4:19 pm #

I did it! It’s beautiful!

Here’s the link:

6. Christie's Corner August 20, 2008 at 4:31 pm #

Wow, C. It’s lovely.

I think I’m going to do one for my family. The foodie one was fun, but yours is very touching. Thanks so much for taking the time to do this and to share your creation.

7. Dana McCauley August 20, 2008 at 5:41 pm #

Tres interessant! I think this wordle sounds like fun. Now that Scrabulous is gone from facebook,I just may have to start wordling on a regular basis.

What fun for birthday cards – just put in all the words that describe your friend…and presto!

8. C. Erickson August 20, 2008 at 8:00 pm #

I was so excited to have a beautiful new Wordle that I completely forgot to tell you how awesome yours is. I particularly like “dessert” over there on the edge! :)