Chaos Theory

ChaosTheory.jpg Dear heavens. Keeping a kitchen under control shouldn’t be that hard. But with a freezer stuffed with mystery meat and a fridge full of flat wine and even flatter veggies, I know that it will take greater minds than Einstein’s to find a solution.

Between leftovers, half-used ingredients and the usual clutter suspects, an orderly kitchen is more theory than fact for me.

So, I’m borrowing some practical ideas from brilliant bloggers. These solutions are so simple, they border on genius.

• Opened a bottle of bubbly and didn’t finish it all? Wine writer, Gretchen Roberts, knows how to save sparkling wine without one of those pumps (which don’t always work). I used this trick when I made my Champagne and grapefruit sorbet.
  • If you’ve a freezer full of unidentified items, Dana McCauley’s Sharpie solution will save you time and money.
  • Your last excuse to skip the daily salad goes in the garbage along with slimy lettuce. Cheryl Sternman Rule’s marinated salad ensures you have a fresh supply all week.

Got any bright ideas you care to share?

0 Responses to Chaos Theory

1. Anonymous July 31, 2008 at 9:02 am #

Dear Charmian,
    If you want to get rid of leftovers just invite us over for supper. I don’t mind last minute requests to attend your table, and if the left overs won’t stretch to the whole family I’m happy to come help you out solo. You could also just keep piling all left overs into a big tub, add some broth, simmer till really soft, puree, and call it soup. Love, Robin

2. Anonymous July 31, 2008 at 9:02 am #

Dear Charmian,

3. Kathe August 3, 2008 at 9:54 pm #

It’s really too bad we don’t live in the same city, Charmian. Left-over bubbly would never be a problem. In my altruistic way, I’m willing to help with that, but the bubbles will probably burst en route to Montreal. Sniff, sob… Guess I’ll have to head your way one of these days.

4. Kathe August 3, 2008 at 9:54 pm #

5. Dana McCauley August 14, 2008 at 3:18 pm #

Leftover champagne….what is that?

Thanks for the shout out! I was impressed by all the sharpie love out there when I wrote my post and hope that it keeps growing.

6. Dana McCauley August 14, 2008 at 3:18 pm #

Leftover champagne….what is that?